While catching up on some of the blogs in the Set Plays blogroll, I stumbled across an interesting post on the Engaging Volunteers blog at VolunteerMatch, a website dedicated to putting volunteers in touch with nonprofits in order to build community, relationships, and partnerships. The post listed 7 reasons that an individual might not want to volunteer with a nonprofit and I think these reasons are just as true for our Clubs and Associations as they are for other nonprofits.
- I’ve never heard of you.
- I don’t really understand what you do.
- I’m not clear how my time and effort will make a difference.
- I don’t know anyone else who volunteers with you.
- I can’t figure out how to sign up to volunteer.
- It’s hard to sign up to volunteer, and I don’t know if I’m really the right type of person.
- You haven’t asked me to volunteer.
Take a look at the 7 reasons above and let us know what you think. What do you think are the biggest challenges to finding volunteers for your Club or Association? What can WA Youth Soccer do to help you answer these questions?